North Harris County Branch
Celebrates 38 Years of Service
Outstanding Women Luncheon, February 23, 2013 ....more
The NHC Branch (TX7107) began in 1973 and was chartered
in 1974 with 86 members. In support of AAUW's mission statement and
in an effort to impact the local civic and cultural scene, the NHC Branch
- Formed "Friends of the Library" that succeeded in establishing
the Cypress Creek County Library. We continue to support "Friends"
and the Barbara Bush Library.
- Helped develop Mercer Arboretum and supports its program and projects.
- Preserved the history of this area by researching and publishing
The Heritage of North Harris County.
- Funded national and international grants through the Educational
Foundation as well as many community projects through funds raised
with our Annual Holiday Home Tour.
- Sponsored community forums on the environment, education, and public
- Offered day and evening study groups, including "Great Decisions,"
study of international relations.
- Presented Expanding Your Horizons career workshops for middle school
girls, laying the groundwork for local districts to establish their
own career exploration programs.
The approximately 135 members of the NHC Branch continue
to work for equity for women and girls, life-long education, and positive
societal change through a variety of avenues including: a slate of exciting
monthly programs, study groups, community outreach projects, the Association's
Educational Foundation, local grant allocations, our Annual Holiday
Home Tour, and coalitions with other organizations to pursue common